How many times have you attended a virtual event and the first question that’s asked is “Where is everyone joining us from today?” Don’t get me wrong finding out where people are in the world is great and virtual events allow for a truly international audience but it’s getting overused and a little boring, don’t you think? Plus, if you attend similar events, chances are many of the attendees are people you know from your community and you may already know the answers to this and ultimately lose attention or not even participate yourself.
Starting the 2-minute presentations, I wondered how I be more rebellious in my hosting approach and that’s when I thought about that all-important icebreaker and how I could change things up to be more exciting and unpredictable.
As event hosts, it’s our job to keep things upbeat and hold the attention of attendees. Something that is becoming more difficult with virtual events due to distractions and the ability to multitask. So how can you switch it up in a simple way?
Ask a question they aren’t expecting.
Get them thinking differently for a moment share something fun about themselves and learn something new about others.
Here are 5 of my top tips when using icebreakers and breaking the mould at the beginning of any event:
- Be Inclusive and Fun: Use questions that everyone can share, and there are no wrong answers.
- Lead by Example: Start by answering your own questions to make others feel comfortable.
- Keep It Short & Sweet: Use straightforward questions to keep the conversation flowing.
- Tie It In: Connect your icebreaker to your event theme or topic to help get attendees in the zone for what’s to come
- Enjoy It: Have fun with your icebreakers to build strong relationships and a great atmosphere.
Need some inspiration? Here are 50 of my favourite rebellious icebreakers, that’ll surely peak attention at your next event:
- What is your go-to Saturday night takeaway food?
- What fashion trend should make a comeback?
- If you could have any superpower for a day, what would it be and why?
- What's a hidden talent or hobby you have that most people don't know about?
- If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three items would you want with you?
- What song is currently on repeat right now?
- If you could instantly master any skill, what would it be
- What one meal could you eat every day for the rest of your life?
- You´re next up at karaoke, what are you singing?
- What's your must-pack item for every trip?
- What was the last picture you took on your phone?
- If you could break any rule for a day without consequences, what would it be?
- You can only have 1 other topping on a pizza aside from cheese what is it?
- You’ve bagged a seat on a trip to the moon, What are you most excited about?
- If you could choose any era to live in, which decade would you pick?
- If you could attend a live recording of any TV show, which one would it be?
- What's a topic you could talk about for hours on end?
- What's a food you disliked as a child but enjoy now?
- If you could instantly master a musical instrument, which would you choose?
- What's a song that always puts you in a good mood?
- If you could switch lives with someone famous for a day, who would it be and what would you do?
- What's a hobby you've always wanted to try but haven't yet?
- If you could have a bottomless supply of any snack, what would it be?
- If you could instantly learn any language, which one would you choose?
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you bring?
- If you could replace your morning alarm sound with any sound effect, what would it be?
- What’s the most useful thing you own?
- Which one of the 7 dwarfs do you relate to the most?
- If you could only eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
- If you could experience any festival or celebration from around the world, which one would it be?
- What's your guilty pleasure right now?
- What was the last thing you did that gave childhood fun vibes?
- What’s one thing you are unbeatable at?
- What emoji represents your mood right now?
- What simple thing still blows your mind?
- You’ve got a day off, what are you excited for?
- What’s an adult problem nobody prepared you for?
- What is one small win you’ve achieved recently?
- If you could stop time for 1 hour, what would you do?
- What drink describes your personality?
- You’ve won a self-care ritual for life at your favourite place, what is it?
- If you could have any job in the world for one week, what would it be and why?
- If you were an Olympic athlete, what sport would you compete in?
- You can have any animal as a pet, what do you choose?
- What is something you’re good at that you never thought you would be?
- You hold a world record, but what is it in?
- You find a ¢100 dollar bill on the floor, what do you do with it?
- What is your go-to rainy-day plan?
- What is 1 habit you’d love to master?
- You have to give a 2-minute presentation on any topic, what do you choose?
Remember, icebreakers are meant to be fun, and casual and make people feel comfortable getting involved. They are a great way to kick things off in any event big or small so give it a try. You’ll be amazed at the answers you get and the deeper connections you can make with your community.
September 19, 2023
Subscribe to receive community insights, invitations to our webinars, and monthly Talkbase product updates.